In 1928 the Venerable H. S. Radcliffe wrote an article for
Norfolk Archaeology called "Church Plate in the Old Deanery of Cranwich". The
following is the entry for our parish -
HOCKWOLD, ST. PETER
CUM WILTON ST. JAMES
The Plate belonging to these united parishes
is very beautiful throughout. The cups and patens the latter of which are
inscribed with the date 1568 underneath, were made out of the old Plate with an
addition of a considerable amount of new silver in the year 1681.
Chalice. Height, 8 ins. Diameter, 4¼ ins.
Marks (1) Year mark for 1681.
(3) Crowned leopard.
(4) Maker's mark, F S in plain
Inscription on base,
vetustate Corruptum propriis suis sumptibus restauravit et auxit Gulielmus Lyng
parochiae de Hockwold Rector."(1)
Also round centre of cup.
Deus propitius esto mihi peccatori."(2)
to top of cover, 8⅞ ins. Diameter at top, 4 ins.; at bottom, 4⅝
ins. Inscribed with arms of donor and the words, " Ex dono Gulielmi Lyng
parochiae de Hockewold Rectoris 1681," (3) and on the lid, "Hockewold 1681," in
script with a design. Marks as on rest of plate.
Paten. Diameter, 5⅞ ins. Inscription under foot,
"Hockewold 1568," with a design. Marks as on
8 ins. Diameter, 4⅜ ins. Marks as on the Hockwold Plate.
Inscribed round base,
"+ This Chalice was
new wrought and enlarged at the cost and charges of William Lyng Vicar of Wylton 1681." (4)
Also around the centre of cup,
"+ The Towne of Wylton." (5)
5⅞ ins. The same marks as on the
plate described above.
foot, "Wilton 1568," with a design.
Latin inscription means that the old
damaged chalice was repaired and improved at Lyng's expense, and William Lyng describes himself as Rector
of the parish of Hockwold.
(2). This inscription suggests that
the cup is an offering to God for forgiveness of some, unfortunately
(3) The gift of William Lyng, Rector
of the parish of Hockwold.
(4) This inscription is in English,
of course, and Mr Lyng is here described as Vicar of Wilton.
(5) There have been
several references in documents of this time to the 'Town' of Wilton, whether
this reflects an extra importance to Wilton remains to be seen.
In the survey of
parish goods taken in 1552, both parishes are recorded as having retained a
silver gilt chalice. It is not clear whether these were reworked in 1568;
certainly the king's commissioners did not leave any patens behind! Perhaps in
1568 there was new work to celebrate the then 10-year reign of the
playing-it-for-safe protestant Elizabeth, after Catholic Mary.
William Lyng was
the first Rector and Vicar of the united parishes. He took office in 1666 and
began to organise the parishes into an orthodox Anglican mould, even attempting
to regularise the parish registers. According to the Hockwold register, he was
buried on 16th January 1679. The date of 1681 on the silver thus
looks a bit suspect until one realises that at that time the year began on 25th
March, Lady Day. We would call the date of his burial 16th January
1680, but even so, it is possible that he never saw the beautiful objects he
had causedto be created.