of Ely. Archdeaconry of Wisbech. Deanery of Feltwell.
of the Church (since 1352): Gonville and Caius College, University of
Benefice with St Mary's Church, Weeting
Rev Stephen Betson
Enquiries including access to the Church to the Churchwardens, although
financial matters are best directed to the Treasurer.
L K Hardwick,
are rung for all services. While visiting ringers are welcomed, visits
for recreational ringing are carefully limited as regards both frequency
there were two Villages, each had a Church: St Peter's, beside Hockwold
Hall was rather the grander of the two, and was the Hockwold Church, St
James' served Wilton.
From the C17th, however, one Rector - normally a fellow of Gonville
and Caius - served both parishes. The Rectory was roughly equidistant between
the churches and a noble avenue of beeches connected all three buildings.
St. Peter's was declared redundant in the 1970's, St James' then
becoming the Parish Church . The organ from St Peter's was transferred
to St James' and restored in 1974. In the same year the present electric
clock in the tower of St James was installed, replacing a much earlier
mechanical one, the remains of which are still in the bell tower.
Some guide books on Norfolk churches were confused about the existence
of two churches and in particular of a monument called the Wyche Memorial
- this is in St Peters, not St James.
More details are set out in the leaflets produced by the parish.